Winemakers dozen: Portugal awarded 12 trophies at International Wine Challenge
EMBARGO 11:00 GMT 14/05/14
12 Portuguese wine trophies at prestigious wine competition
Portugal picked up a flurry of trophies at the International Wine Challenge in a stellar year of success at the competition. A total of twelve trophies were awarded to Portuguese wines across Madeira, Port, Red and White.
- Four Madeiras received trophies at the competition with master of Madeira, Justino’s being awarded three trophies for its vintage Madeiras. The 1934 Madeira Verdelho was awarded the Madeira Trophy by the competition.
- The Justino’s 1978 Madeira Terrantez and its 1934 Madeira Boal were also awarded trophies at the competition. Vinhos Barbeito Lda also received a trophy for its 1992 Sercial Frasqueira Single Cask 72 b+e Madeira.
- Portugal was also awarded four trophies for its Ports. Graham’s 30 Year Old Aged Tawny Port beat the competition to be awarded the IWC 2014 Port Trophy. The 2009 Porto Ferreira LBV by Sogrape Vinhos and the 1965 Vinho do Porto Colheita by Sociedad Agricola e Comercial dos Vinhos Messias were also both awarded trophies. Wine and Port producer Quinta Do Passadouro Lda received the Vintage Port trophy for its 2011 Passadouro Vintage.
- Quinta Do Passadoura Lda was also awarded with a trophy for its Red wine after the Passadoura Touriga Nacional 2011 wowed the judges. Douro based Jorge Nobre Moreira’s 2011 Pó de Poeira won a regional Red trophy. The trophy for Portuguese Red went to the 2011 Quinta dos Roques from Quinta dos Roques. This blended red was the only trophy winner to originate from Portugal’s Dao region.
- The prize for the best Portuguese White went to the 2011 Campolargo by Manuel dos Santos Campolargo, Herderos which was the only trophy winner from the Bairrada region.
- The Champion wines across Red, White, Sparkling, Fortified and Sweet will be announced at the International Wine Challenge Awards Dinner on Wednesday 16th July at Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London.
- Visit the IWC website for the full list of winners: http://www.internationalwinechallenge.com
Charles Metcalfe, Co-Chairman of the IWC commented:
“Choosing the Madeira trophy winners is always a highlight of the competition, and these trophy winners are beautiful. The Ports are wonderful, and the trophy-winning Red and White were excellent. Portugal has had a truly outstanding year at the competition.”
“The International Wine Challenge is committed to rigorous and fair tasting and has subsequently earned its reputation as the most well-respected wine competition in the world. By hosting two separate tasting events across the year, wines are given the best chance to perform well, wherever they’re from.”
“If a shopper sees an IWC medal sticker on a bottle of wine, its quality can be trusted, as it has been selected by some of the world’s best tasters. Whether you are a wine novice or an experienced wine-drinker, our stickers can help you find a great wine every time,” he added.
Scroll down for full press release including the complete list of Portuguese trophy winners