Gatekeepers of fine wine: International Wine Challenge announces its Merchant Awards for 2014
The 31st International Wine Challenge announces Merchant awards at prestigious Trophy Dinner.
The 31st International Wine Challenge announced its Merchant awards for the year at its prestigious Trophy Awards Dinner at Grosvenor House Hotel, last night.
- Berry Bros. & Rudd picked up the top prize of IWC Merchant of the Year 2014. Britain’s oldest wine and spirit merchant, Berry Bros. & Rudd has traded from the same shop in London’s St James’ since 1698 and now has offices in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong. The prestigious company employs eight Masters of Wine, more than any other UK wine company. Berry Bros. & Rudd also picked up the award for Large Independent Merchant of the Year.
- The IWC prize for High Street Chain of the Year for 2014 went to Oddbins, a huge win for the chain, which has faced many ups and downs in recent years. However, since introducing a new strategy focused on individual bottle sales rather than discount cases, the chain has gone from strength to strength. This victory is a testament to their renewed success.
- Marks & Spencer was named IWC Supermarket of the Year for the second year running. The premium retailer picked up a flurry of awards this year, including one Trophy, six Gold medals, 50 Silver and 82 Bronze medals. It was also awarded the IWC Corporate Social Responsibility Award 2014.
- Tesco received the IWC Direct Merchant of the Year award for its Tesco Wine by the Case service for the second year running.
- IWC Wine Club of the Year 2014 was The Wine Society for the fourth year running, a testament to its extensive range of wines and events, as well as excellent customer service.
- Liberty Wines received the IWC Large Agent of the Year Award and Indigo Wines were awarded IWC Small Agent of the Year.
- Visit the IWC website for the full list of winners www.internationalwinechallenge.com
Charles Metcalfe, Co-Chairman of the IWC commented:
“The International Wine Challenge is dedicated to celebrating not only excellent winemakers but also wonderful wine merchants. Our excellent Merchant Award winners play a hugely important role in getting some of the best wines from around the world to the UK’s wine drinkers. They are the gatekeepers of fine wine, exciting shoppers and enhancing their enjoyment of wine. It is the passion, expertise and dedication of these merchants which ensures that great new wines are discovered and shared, and that shoppers receive the best wines they can for any occasion or budget.”
The full list of Merchant Award winners is as follows:
- IWC Large Agent of the Year: Liberty Wines
- IWC Small Agent of the Year: Indigo Wines Ltd
- IWC Direct Merchant of the Year: Tesco Wine by the Case
- IWC High Street Chain of the Year: Oddbins
- IWC Innovator of the Year: London Cru
- IWC Large Independent Merchant of the Year: Berry Bros. & Rudd
- IWC On-Trade Supplier of the Year: Liberty Wines
- IWC Small Independent Merchant of the Year: Roberson
- IWC Supermarket of the Year: Marks & Spencer
- IWC Wine List of the Year: Alliance Wine
- IWC Wine Educator of the Year: Bibendum Wine Ltd
- IWC Wine Club of the Year: The Wine Society
- IWC Trade Wine Merchant of the Year: Liberty Wine
- IWC Wine Merchant of the Year: Berry Bros. & Rudd
- IWC Corporate Social Responsibility Award: Marks & Spencer
- IWC Generic Campaign of the Year: Wines of Germany’s Summer of Riesling – Phipps Relations/Wines of Germany
- IWC Specialist Wine Merchants of the Year
- The Wine Society for Alsace
- D. Byrne & Co for Australia
- Bordeaux Index for Bordeaux
- Goedhuis & Co for Burgundy
- Roberson Wine for California
- The Wine Society for Chile
- Lea & Sandeman for Champagne & Sparkling
- Laithwaite’s Wine for Eastern Europe
- Berry Bros & Rudd for En Primeur
- Waitrose & Co for England
- Cambridge Wine Merchants for Fortified
- Howard Ripley Ltd for Germany
- Liberty Wines for Italy
- Cambridge Wine Merchants for Languedoc/Roussillon
- Yapp Bros of Wine for Loire
- Oddbins for Portugal
- O.W.Loeb & Co for Rhône
- Handford Wines and Seckford Wine Agencies for South Africa
- Indigo Wine for Spain
- IWC Regional Wine Merchants of the Year
- Northern Ireland – James Nicholson Wine Merchants
- Wales – Mumbles Fine Wine
- Scotland – Valvona & Crolla
- Central England North – Loki Wine Merchants
- Central England South – Oeno
- North Eastern England – House of Townend
- South Western England – Great Western Wine
- London – Bottle Apostle
- South & South East England – The Wine Reserve
- North Western England – D. Byrne & Co
- Eastern England – Cambridge Wine Merchants