Celebrating a life in wine: José Zuccardi awarded International Wine Challenge Lifetime Achievement Award
Argentine winemaker receives prestigious award for commitment to his nation’s wine industry.
The International Wine Challenge Hall of Fame has a new addition today, after Argentine winemaker José Alberto Zuccardi of Bodega Familia Zuccardi was awarded the IWC Lifetime Achievement Award at the competition’s prestigious awards dinner last night. Zuccardi was praised for his passion and dedication to producing world-class wine and promoting his nation’s wines around the globe.
- A true innovator, Zuccardi has been constantly developing his family’s wine company in Mendoza since he took over as director in 1985. Zuccardi was one of the first Argentinian winery owners to export to the UK, and his forward-thinking approach to wine production, combined with his business acumen, has ensured that Familia Zuccardi has become a global phenomenon.
- His endless drive to improve has transformed Familia Zuccardi from a producer of inexpensive wine for a domestic market into an iconic company producing some of the best wines in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Notably, the Uco Valley wine range created by Zuccardi and his son Sebastián has received international critical acclaim since its launch in 2006. This range celebrates the delicate nuances of the terroirs of the Uco Valley, moving away from the excessive oak and alcohol often associated with Argentinian wine.
- Supported by his children, Zuccardi has overseen the successful growth and diversification of his family’s winery. The vineyard now boasts a critically acclaimed restaurant and visitor centre, managed by his daughter Julia. In 2004, the company made its first award-winning virgin olive oil, the brainchild of his second son Miguel. Earlier this year, it opened a new eco-friendly winery complex in Paraje Altamira.
- A vocal advocate of Argentina’s potential to create world-class wines, Zuccardi is a dedicated servant of his native wine industry. He is currently president of the UVA (Unión Vitivinícola Argentina), a member of the board of COVIAR (the Corporación Vitivinícola Argentina) and of Wines of Argentina.
- For more information about the IWC visit : http://www.internationalwinechallenge.com
Tim Atkins, Co-Chairman of IWC commented:
“Zuccardi’s story is truly inspirational – his passion and boundless drive to improve has resulted in a complete transformation of the Zuccardi family company. With his family by his side, he continues to direct the company his father created in the 1960s with energy, passion and distinction. He has expanded into the Uco Valley, built a new winery, and followed new dreams. He has been a faithful supporter of his national wine trade, and the Argentinian wine industry owes a debt of gratitude to this great man.”
José Alberto Zuccardi of Bodega Familia Zuccardi commented:
“Wine is a universal language. We get to know each other better through wine, establishing an unwritten bond that unites us with numerous other people. For us, wine is a way of life.”