King of the Malbecs: Argentina receives seven trophies at International Wine Challenge with four being awarded to Malbecs
EMBARGO 11:00 GMT 14/05/14
Seven Argentinian wines receive top trophies at 31st annual International Wine Challenge.
Argentina cemented its reputation as masters of winemaking picking up a significant amount of trophies at the International Wine Challenge 2014. Seven Argentinian wines received the much-coveted trophies, with four of those being awarded to 2012 vintage Malbecs.
- Hailing from the Mendoza region of Argentina, the Gran Mascota Malbec 2012 produced by Bodegas Santa Ana and the Estillo Pampas del Sur Malbec 2012 by Trivento Bodegas y Viñedos S.A were each awarded Malbec trophies.
- Vinalba Patagonian Reserva Malbec 2012 from Bodegas Fabre S.A. based in the Patagonia region also received a trophy, as did the 2012 Colomé Auténtico Malbec from Salta based Bodega Colomé.
- Winemaker Peñaflor fought off competition from around the globe to be awarded the International Cabernet trophy for its Waxed Bat Reserve 2012, a hugely impressive achievement.
- The Argentinian Red trophy was awarded to a blended wine from the Mendoza region of the country. Unánime 2009 produced by Bodegas Santa Ana is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Cabernet Franc.
- The Argentinian White Trophy was awarded to Bodega Amalaya for its 2013 Amalaya Blanco de Corte made from the Torrentes grape which thrives in Argentina.
- The Champion wines across Red, White, Sparkling, Fortified and Sweet will be announced at the International Wine Challenge Awards Dinner on Wednesday 16th July at Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London.
- Visit the IWC website for the full list of winners: http://www.internationalwinechallenge.com
Charles Metcalfe, Co-Chairman of the IWC commented:
“These trophy winning Argentinian winemakers have truly displayed their mastery of the grapes we have come to associate with the country. The trophy-winning Malbecs are stunning and the Torrentes, which was awarded the Argentinian White trophy, is superb. The Peñaflor Waxed Bat Reserve 2012 beat hundreds of Cabernets from around the world to win the International Cabernet trophy and it is a huge achievement. They should be incredibly proud.”
“The International Wine Challenge is committed to rigorous and fair tasting and has subsequently earned its reputation as the most well-respected wine competition in the world. By hosting two separate tasting events across the year, wines are given the best chance to perform well, wherever they’re from.”
“If a shopper sees an IWC medal sticker on a bottle of wine, its quality can be trusted, as it has been selected by some of the world’s best tasters. Whether you are a wine novice or an experienced wine-drinker, our stickers can help you find a great wine every time,” he added.
Scroll down for full press release including complete list of Argentinean trophy winners