Scottish independent craft brewer Innis & Gunn has today reported 2016 as a year of substantial growth, having increased its annual group turnover by 22% to more than £14.3 million in 2016, up from 11.8 million in 2015. The Edinburgh-based brewer also increased its annual gross profit by 25% from £6.8 million in 2015 to […]
Innis & Gunn rewards glass “borrowers” with a free takeaway beer
Tomorrow, Thursday, 1 June, Scottish craft brewer Innis & Gunn will hand out free beer to customers that have “borrowed” one of its distinctive lager branded pint glasses. Between 5-7pm, at the brewer’s Beer Kitchen on Edinburgh’s Lothian Road, Innis & Gunn fans will have the chance to pick up a ‘refill bag’ of lager by simply showing photographic evidence of the glass they have previously ‘borrowed’ to staff.
- Since the launch of its lager beer in 2013, over 70,000 of Innis & Gunn lager branded pint glasses have gone missing from bars and pubs across Scotland.
- The distinctive glasses have been a repeat target for beer fans, with many sharing their ‘pinched’ collections on the brand’s social media pages.
- Earlier this month, the brewer launched its ‘Drink It In’ outdoor billboard campaign which poked fun at the tendency for its lager glasses to go missing in Edinburgh.
- In reaction to the rising trend, on Wednesday 17 May, Innis & Gunn turned a blind eye as passers-by helped themselves to a thousand lager glasses from the back of an unattended delivery van. It took only 32 minutes for Edinburgh fans of the brewer to make off with the entire content of the van. Some lucky ones carted off with as many as six glasses.
- Customers who “pinched” a glass from the Innis & Gunn delivery and those who have previously “borrowed” from bars and pubs are eligible to receive a refill bag if they provide a picture of their “borrowed” Innis & Gunn lager pint glass. The refill bags will be dispensed on a first-come-first-served basis and while stocks last.
- Innis & Gunn’s lager is the no.1 craft Lager in Scotland. Since its introduction in 2013, Innis & Gunn Lager has picked up several awards, most recently a Gold at the 2017 Monde Selection Quality Awards.
- The Innis & Gunn Beer Kitchen is located at 81-83 Lothian Rd, Edinburgh EH3 9AW.
Jane Cannon, Head of Marketing at Innis & Gunn commented:
“We knew our glassware was popular in Edinburgh, but I think everyone here was astonished at the speed at which they were taken from our van last week. Our glasses our great, but what’s even better is the lager to go with it. Now our “borrowers” can enjoy the full Innis & Gunn experience at home.”
Hi-res images and the full press release are available for download below.