Continuing its mission of shaping the next generation of travel, Europe’s leading smart travel brand Horizn Studios has unveiled its signature M5 Cabin Luggage in the latest and brightest colour way to date. For smart luggage that pops, cue the Neon Edition. On sale exclusively online for £350, the Neon Edition sees the signature M5 […]
ONE GIANT LEAP FOR LUGGAGE
Full high res assets available here: https://bit.ly/2XXsBMp
Out of this world: This is what your luggage will look
like when you holiday on the moon
- Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, Horizn Studios unveils a design study for the world’s first luggage for space travel, developed in collaboration with youngest astronaut-in-training Alyssa Carson
- Designed for travel in zero gravity, it features a graphene-enhanced carbon fibre shell, electromagnetic baseplate, biometric security, smart screens and bacteriostatic technology
London, 11th July 2019 – Smart luggage pioneer Horizn Studios has today unveiled a design study for the first ever case engineered for space travel. Marking the 50th anniversary of the first manned moon landing, “Horizn ONE” was designed in collaboration with the world’s youngest astronaut-in-training, Alyssa Carson.
The space-age concept luggage boasts a range of futuristic features to make space travel seamless, such as an ultra-light and flexible graphene-enhanced carbon fibre shell, an electromagnetic base, biometric security, smart screens, wireless charging and even the power to keep your dirty laundry fresh.
Billed as the ‘luggage for generation space’, Horizn ONE will be the most advanced luggage in the universe, with a pre-order price tag of £40,000; a snip when you consider a ticket to the International Space Station with NASA is currently £46m.
Founder of Horizn Studios, Stefan Holwe commented: “As a smart travel brand, it is our mission to enable curious minds to go further, so this project lies very close to our hearts. We’re excited to honour this landmark anniversary with Alyssa, who fearlessly represents space travel for the next generation.”
“Space is seen as the final frontier, and Horizn ONE brings us one step closer. It shows how far smart travel technology has come, and how far it can go”.
THE WORLD’S FIRST SPACE LUGGAGE
Horizn Studios’ team of ten engineers and designers, in consultation with Carson, asked themselves what future space travellers would need from their luggage to make those journeys seamless and enjoyable: how will they pack, and how their luggage would operate in zero gravity.
The innovative design study – the first-of-its-kind space travel case – delivers a range of features that make it perfectly suited to space travel:
- Graphene-enhanced carbon fibre structure, making it flexible, more robust and lighter than any luggage developed so far. The case is estimated to weigh no more than 900 grams.
- Electromagnetic base, allowing it to secure to the floor or walls of the spacecraft for easy access in zero gravity.
- Extendable straps so the luggage can be carried as a backpack.
- Graphene supercapacitors and an inductive charging field also allow for highly efficient energy storage and wireless charging of electronic devices.
- Inbuilt smart screen to allow travellers to stay in touch and share experiences via video with loved ones back on Earth.
- Biometric security allows users to unlock the case with fingerprint recognition.
- Vacuum function for maximum storage efficiency. As space is a precious commodity on a spacecraft, the luggage can also be folded completely flat when empty to allow for easy storage.
- A silver-ion enhanced compartment provides a bacteriostatic function, neutralizing germs and odour on the space traveller’s clothes.
Alyssa Carson, who collaborated with Horizn Studios in the design study, is an 18 year-old astronaut-in-training aiming to be first person to set foot on Mars. Known all over the solar system by her official call sign ‘Blueberry’, Alyssa collaborated with Horizn Studios to design a case to be both striking and functional for a future where space tourism is the norm.
Future Mars traveller Alyssa Carson commented: “Commercial space travel is already a reality. It was fascinating to work with the team at Horizn Studios – we asked ourselves what a space traveller would need in terms of luggage, and what that luggage would need to be able to do.”
“My generation is closer than ever to space travel and I’ve been dreaming of becoming an astronaut since I was three years old. I loved working on designing something that would inspire the next generation of travellers to push their boundaries. I can’t wait to take Horizn ONE with me to Mars.”
Alyssa drew on her training at NASA Space Camp and the Advanced Polar Suborbital Science in the Upper Mesosphere (PoSSUM) Academy to co-create the 2D and 3D visual prototypes with Horizn Studios. Her training to date is on par with that of astronauts more than a decade her senior: she was the first person to complete the NASA Passport Programme, and has achieved the certification for sub-orbital space from Project PoSSUM. Since the age of twelve, Carson has attended more than seven space camps, completing intensive training in microgravity, decompression, underwater survival and space suit handling.
Horizn ONE is still a concept – the brand expects its first space range to arrive by 2030. Customers can follow Horizn Studios for updates on www.horizn-studios.com/en/brand/future-of-travel
Upcoming Limited NASA Edition Cabin Luggage
On the anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission and man’s first steps on the moon, Horizn Studios is launching a commemorative NASA Edition M5 Cabin Luggage. Featuring an anniversary luggage tag, NASA branding and all of Horizn Studio’s smart travel features – an inbuilt, removable smart charger, 360 spinner wheels and an aerospace-grade polycarbonate hard shell – this limited edition case takes style to new stratospheres. RRP £650.
One case will be auctioned at the US Space and Rocket Center’s 50th Anniversary Ceremony in Alabama. Proceeds raised will go towards the Space Camp Foundation which helps underprivileged children access scholarships.
For more information about the space travel case Horizn ONE, and to purchase the Limited NASA Edition Cabin Luggage from Horizn Studios, visit www.horizn-studios.com/en/brand/future-of-travel.