Gumtree.com, the UK’s largest classifieds website has recruited Matt Button to its growing team in the newly created role of Head of CRM. Button will work with the Gumtree marketing team and its agencies to devise and deliver a CRM strategy that acquires, nurtures, engages and retains customers across all its categories. The CRM strategy […]
Gumtree drives rebrand home with new motors TV ad
Gumtree, the UK’s largest classifieds website, is continuing its above the line campaign with the launch of a new TV spot championing its motors category.
The ad is the second in a series using the strapline “Opportunity Starts on Gumtree”.
Created by Fold7, the advert takes viewers on an emotional journey with a charming older couple who find a red convertible Volkswagen Karmann Ghia using the Gumtree mobile app, and imagine what adventures the car could bring to them.
The 30-second TV ad will be broadcast from Monday 22nd February across Channel 4, ITV2, Five and Sky and launches across Gumtree’s social media profiles on Friday, 19th February.
- The first TV ad as part of the ‘Opportunity starts on Gumtree’ campaign aired in mid-January, and focussed on the story of a father finding a piano on Gumtree for his young daughter, who later grows up to become a talented and famous musician. It went live at the same time as their rebrand, which saw the launch of a new logo, brand identity, tone of voice along with a wide range of improvements across its mobile and desktop channels.
- Gumtree is also the UK’s number one marketplace for buying and selling private cars with over six million cars on sale last year, averaging at 17,000 new cars for sale every day.
- The positive impact of January’s rebrand has been immediate with a 20 per cent uplift in traffic to the sites motors category so far and an 18 per cent increase in car listings compared with the same time last year.
- As well as TV, the ‘Opportunity Starts on Gumtree’ campaign runs nationally across VOD, radio, traditional and digital out-of-home, print and online. Media strategy and implementation is being managed by the7stars.
- A third TV advert in the series due to go live in March, focuses on Gumtree’s jobs category. The ad will tell the story of a young man imagining himself rise up the ranks starting as a kitchen assistant, a role he finds on Gumtree, to run his own business of a Moroccan inspired pop up food truck.
Earlier this year, Gumtree announced a number of updates to its platforms including a refreshed homepage, and a new cleaner app with even better functionality. Changes coved:
- new 24-hour customer support through email and @helpmegumtree, a Twitter account set up purely to provide customer service
- an easier way to search that means users can find more items based on their location
- a simpler mobile app that lets people post ads quicker
- improved messaging notifications that help users place their ads and manage responses even easier
Katie Crossfield, Marketing Campaign Manager at Gumtree says:
“This next stage of our campaign reinforces our message of highlighting the range of opportunities that start on Gumtree and encourage everyone to imagine what theirs could be. We have had a fantastic response to the campaign so far and wanted to maintain this excitement. With millions of people across the UK driving cars bought or sold on Gumtree, it seemed fitting for the second ad in our series to share this beautifully inspiring story.”
Harry Sheward, Managing Partner, Fold7, says:“This next wave of our ‘Opportunity starts on Gumtree’ campaign shows the power of the creative idea to elevate the brand far beyond its transactional legacy. We wanted to share the previously untold, emotive story that Gumtree has huge positive impact on people’s lives, opening up human connections and opportunities of a lifetime.”
Notes to editors
Creative agency: Fold7
Project name: Motors
Executive creative director: Ryan Newey
Creative director: John Yorke
Art director: Ben Ducker
Copywriter: Lucy Aston
Planner: Nicola Wyatt
Account director: Vicky Hersheson
Agency producer: Imogen Bell
Media agency: 7 Stars
Director: Arni Thor Jonsson
Production Company Producer: Dominic Wilcox
Production company: Dark Energy Films
Editing house/editor: MSE – John Mayes
Audio post-production: Factory
The full press release and high res images are available for download below