Chivas Brothers, the Scotch whisky business of Pernod Ricard, has opened a vibrant new head office in Glasgow city centre following a relocation from Paisley, demonstrating the company’s continued investment in Scotland. Situated on the north side of Blythswood Square, the newly refurbished building with more than 27,000 sq ft of office suites, was opened […]
Over 1,000 UK-based Pernod Ricard employees join together on 6th June to drive circular making projects in England and Scotland
Today, over 1,000 UK colleagues from Pernod Ricard UK, Chivas Brothers and the Global Travel Retail business will come together to support circular making projects ranging from plastic removal to upcycling and more. The united effort across England and Scotland is to mark Pernod Ricard’s annual ‘Responsib’All Day’.
Responsib’All Day is an annual global event which sees 19,000 Pernod Ricard colleagues around the world dedicate time and resources to support the group’s long-term global sustainability commitments. The day also offers teams the opportunity to work with local communities and share convivial celebrations with their colleagues.
Teams will be supporting a wide variety of projects inspired by circular making including upcycling workshops, recycling initiatives and even collecting waste plastic which will be transformed into a boat to be used for plastic fishing. Circular Making is one of the primary focuses of Pernod Ricard’s Sustainability & Responsibility Roadmap ‘Good Times from a Good Place’, which was revealed in April 2019 and outlines its environmental and social commitments up until 2030. This commitment is to minimise waste at every step of the manufacturing process, by reusing and recycling as much as possible to ensure the production and distribution of its products and experiences are optimised to help preserve natural resources.
The boat that waste plastic built
Chivas Brothers employees will be donating over 2,100 man-hours, partnering with water charities Keep Scotland Beautiful and Thames 21 in Scotland and London respectively to collect discarded plastics from waterways and community spaces.
That waste plastic will then be processed and transformed into a 13-person punt by charity partner Hubbub, which will be donated to Keep Scotland Beautiful to allow the charity to increase its efforts to remove plastic from Scotland’s waterways. The boat will also be used to host events and community initiatives to inspire others to consider their own plastic usage.
Jean Christophe Coutures, CEO and Chairman of Chivas Brothers, commented:
“Responsib’All Day is a demonstration of our commitment to having a positive impact on the places we call home and inspire others to take positive action. Not only are we cleaning rivers, seas and community spaces across Scotland and in London, but by turning that waste into a boat which can be used to clean Scotland’s waterways, we can further futureproof the beautiful home of Scotch.”
Giving back where it’s needed most
Pernod Ricard UK will donate more than 1,800 man-hours to nine projects across England dedicated to improving communities through reusing and upcycling waste products in partnership with Works4U. Ensuring national scale, employees were based in London, the North and South West regions, supporting the following charities:
- Cultivate London, provides carpentry workshops for unemployed young people
- London Children’s Book Project, donates books to schools and nurseries most in need
- Forest Recycling, London, provides free reclaimed paint to new housing association residents
- Butts Farm, London, provides play areas to those living in low income social housing
- Heronway Allotment, London, provides vocational employment opportunities in horticulture and farming
- Petit Miracles, London, teaches people how to upcycle discarded furniture
- Plymouth Beach Clean, clears microplastics from a local beach
- Bristol Marine Conservation Society Beach Clean, collects microplastics to be recycled
- Plastic Shed, provides opportunities for people to work together to turn plastic waste into useful items
Responsib’All Day forms part of Pernod Ricard UK’s on-going Force For Good programme, which encourages employees to volunteer their time year-round to charities either close to their heart or in support of the business’ over-arching S&R Goals.
Mohit Lal, Global Travel Retail CEO and Chairman commented:
“With over 700 employees uniting under the common goal of making a difference through circular making, we can have a huge impact. From the hills of Scotland’s Speyside to the centre of London, we are one team working together to build a better future.”
Notes to editors
For further information and press images please contact:
- Charlotte Sylvester, Pernod Ricard UK email@example.com or
- Julian Obubo, Manifest London firstname.lastname@example.org
More details on the charities supported by Pernod Ricard UK:
- Cultivate London, which provides carpentry workshops for unemployed young people, enabling them to build confidence and learn key new skills
- London Children’s Book Project, which sorts book donations and gives them new homes in schools and nurseries most in need
- Forest Recycling (London), which provides free reclaimed paint to new housing association residents to help them make their new houses a home
- Butts Farm (London), which provides an outdoor space to those living in low income social housing to ensure children have an area to play, learn and enjoy nature
- Heron Way Allotment (London), which aims to provide vocational employment opportunities in horticulture and farming
- Petit Miracles (London), which teaches people how to upcycle discarded furniture
- Plymouth Beach Clean, clearing microplastics from an area close to the Plymouth Gin Distillery
- Bristol Marine Conservation Society Beach Clean, collecting microplastics to be recycled and given a new lease of life
- Plastic Shed, Stockport-based social enterprise that provides opportunities for people to work together to turn plastic waste into useful items for the community
About Chivas Brothers
Chivas Brothers is a global drinks producer and exports company steeped in Scottish heritage. It is the only Pernod Ricard business dedicated entirely to Scotch whisky and comprises a prestigious range of single malt and blended whiskies. Chivas Brothers’ award-winning portfolio features some of the world’s most revered Scotch whisky brands including Chivas Regal, Ballantine’s, Royal Salute and The Glenlivet. With a multitude of awards and accolades for its quality, craftsmanship, industry-leading sites and award-winning campaigns, its brands are at the heart of moments of connection across the globe.
The company comprises 1,600 employees, 14 Scotch distilleries, two bottling facilities and over 300 warehouses across its 26 sites including Orkney, Scotland and London.
About Pernod Ricard UK
Pernod Ricard UK is part of Pernod Ricard, number two in wines and spirits with sales of €9,010m in 2016/2017. Created in 1975 by the merger of Ricard and Pernod, the Group has undergone sustained development, based on both organic growth and acquisitions: Seagram (2001), Allied Domecq (2005) and Vin&Sprit (2008).
Pernod Ricard holds one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the sector, including 19 brands among the top 100 worldwide. Pernod Ricard UK has identified the following key priority brands in the UK market: Absolut, Jameson, Chivas, The Glenlivet, Plymouth Gin, Monkey 47, Lillet, Malibu, Perrier-Jouët, Kahlúa, Beefeater, Campo Viejo, Brancott Estate, Olmeca, Havana Club, Martell, Jacob’s Creek, Lamb’s, Ballantine’s, G.H. Mumm, Graffigna and Wyborowa. Pernod Ricard UK is a member of The Portman Group promoting responsible drinking.
About The Gin Hub
The Gin Hub is where you will find our collection of wonderful International Gins: Beefeater, Plymouth and Seagram’s (outside of the US) as well as the passionate people behind them. Created in London in July 2017, The Gin Hub was born as a stand-alone company, which now reports to Pernod Ricard UK, to drive the global development of its portfolio of International Premium Gin brands. Nimble and experimental, The Gin Hub is a place where world-class expertise is celebrated, where innovation and ideas are nurtured and where its gin brands can truly thrive.
About Pernod Ricard Global Travel Retail
Pernod Ricard gained presence in Travel Retail in the early 1980’s and today Global Travel Retail is one of Pernod Ricard’s largest markets in terms of profit and as a strategic focus for the business. Pernod Ricard Global Travel Retail was restructured in 2017 to enable global consistency and ensure better collaboration with the brands and retail partners, as well as creating seamless brand engagement for travellers across multiple points of their ‘Travel Trail’ journey.