Friday, 12 February: Chivas Brothers, the Scotch whisky business of Pernod Ricard, released its 2021 Half Year (July – December 2020) results at a press conference this morning. The results tell a story of a measured return to the business’ pre-pandemic momentum despite the challenges of the global COVID-19 crisis and ongoing UK trade negotiations. […]
Chivas Brothers launches sustainability strategy – Plans to create first carbon neutral whisky distillery within two years
This morning, Jean-Christophe Coutures, CEO of Chivas Brothers launched the Scotch Whisky producer’s sustainability strategy and commitments for 2030. He unveiled the ambitious plans during the press conference detailing the businesses’ half year performance which showed total organic net sales at +4%.
Five of Chivas Brothers upcoming sustainability ambitions are to:
- Create the first carbon neutral distillery within two years
- Reduce greenhouse gasses and emissions by a further 20%. Chivas Brothers has already reduced greenhouse gasses and emissions by a third in last 10 years
- Ensure every packaging component is 100% sustainably sourced by 2022
- Evolve to 100% eco-friendly ‘point of sale’ ranges
- Roll out sustainable events around the world
To achieve its goal of a carbon-neutral distillery, Chivas Brothers plans on reducing its Glentauchers’ distillery’s carbon emissions by 90% in 18 months with a target of hitting carbon-neutrality within two years. It plans on achieving this by investing in the electrification of heat and using biofuels.
These ambitions fall under Chivas Brothers Sustainability Strategy ‘Good Times from a Good Place’ which, by 2030 aims to:
- Reduce our carbon emissions by 50% while increasing our positive impact on the environment
- Impact over six million lives within communities at home and overseas
I’ve attached a summary sheet of Chivas Brothers H1 FY20 performance which also contains more information on the company’s sustainability commitments. The summary includes more detail on the growth drivers for Chivas Brother’s global brands (Ballantine’s, The Glenlivet, Chivas Regal, and Royal Salute)
More details on Chivas Brothers sustainability strategy will be released over the following months.