BrewDog plans to recruit army of shuffleboard ‘Olympians’ at new bar, ‘ShuffleDog’. Scottish craft brewery, BrewDog today launches its bid to have shuffleboard added as an Olympic sport for Tokyo 2020, as it opens the doors to the first ShuffleDog in Leeds. Located at Crispin Lofts, New York Road, Leeds, LS2 7PF, the new concept […]
Share of the Dog: BrewDog extends limits of pioneering crowdfunding scheme following record-breaking response from beer fans
Scottish brewery extends limits of innovative ‘Equity for Punks’ crowdfunding scheme from £4m to £4.25m – the maximum possible
Scotland’s largest independent brewery, BrewDog has today announced an extension of the limit set for its record-breaking crowdfunding scheme, Equity for Punks, to keep up with demand for shares. The brewery, which originally set out to raise £4million in six months, is now looking to raise a further £250,000 from selling more shares to ‘fanvestors’ – the maximum value of equity allowed to be sold through a scheme like this.
- Having shunned the banks for growth investment, BrewDog has so far raised almost £7m through ‘fanvestors’ buying shares in the business during three rounds of Equity for Punks.
- This latest round of the scheme is still due to be completed in January, despite the brewer making another 2,600 shares available at £95 each.
- The new target of £4.25m represents the highest amount companies can currently raise through crowdfunding schemes of this type, with BrewDog the only business in the world to come close to those limits.
- The current round of Equity for Punks has raised £3.7m so far
- The extra funds raised will further boost the expansion of BrewDog’s bar division both domestically and abroad, as well as fund a new series of bottle shops across the UK designed to cater for a growing demand for craft beer.
- BrewDog launched its latest crowdfunding initiative on Thursday 20th June in idiosyncratic style, driving a tank around the Bank of England with an army of craft beer fans in tow. The Scottish brewery smashed all previous crowdfunding records by selling £1m of shares in the first 24 hours of the punk offering, as beer fans scrambled to buy equity in the business.
- BrewDog is Britain’s fastest growing food and drinks brand*, and has now made a total of 44,600 shares available to anyone to buy online, ignoring traditional methods of funding to support its continued rapid growth.
- Unlike many crowdfunding programmes that simply look to raise donations in return for fringe benefits or bonds, BrewDog offers genuine equity in its business, alongside a lifetime discount in its bars and its online shop.
- The brewer has achieved an average annual growth of 167 per cent over the past five years and the company is already valued at over three times the value it was given during the last Equity for Punks scheme in 2011.
- The company now employs 200 staff, is on track to turnover £19m in 2013, with the strong growth forecast to continue into 2014.
- The company’s award-winning beers are stocked nationally in all major supermarkets and BrewDog already exports to 38 international markets. Its biggest success in the past year has been the growth of its bar division, opening 12 bars since 2010 – largely funded by Equity for Punks investment – including its first international location in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Equity for Punks is the only share sale in the UK to allow anybody to purchase part of a company via a simple ecommerce website.
- The concept was devised to allow craft beer fans to steer the revolution themselves and help to shape a BrewDog operation that continues to buck the industry trend to grow dramatically at home and abroad.
- Investors will be consulted on new products, new bar locations and perform an active role in building on the business’ formidable growth.
- With every share, investors will also be given a lifetime 5 per cent discount in BrewDog bars and up to a 20 per cent discount on BrewDog’s online shop depending on how much they invest. Investors are also invited to the BrewDog AGM, which this year saw thousands of existing Equity for Punks investors share in their love of BrewDog with a day of beer tastings and live music.
- Shares are available to buy now at www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks
*The Sunday Times Fast Track 100 2012
BrewDog co-founder, James Watt commented:
James Watt, cofounder at BrewDog commented:
“It has been an epic response to Equity for Punks this year, and we now have over 12,000 shareholders all over the world. It’s this phenomenal response that has made it clear we are going to sell the full £4m allocation of shares well before our January deadline, so we are pushing the limit even further.”
“Through Equity for Punks we have shown that far from a buzzword or a fad, crowdfunding is a legitimate alternative financial system. We have broken all records, and silenced all doubters, and now we want to ensure all the fans that have supported us have a chance to buy a share of BrewDog.”
Michael Bennett, an Equity for Punks investor commented:
“Aside from all the obvious potential financial benefits, investing in BrewDog is much more fun than sticking my money in a bank. It’s a community of people backing a business we believe in; it’s exciting to be a part of it.”
You can download the full press release and high resolution images below.