Blippable gym card injects motivation into flagging workouts via interactive content Your Gym and Blippar are motivating gym-goers via an innovative augmented reality membership card. Forward thinking and customer focused, Your Gym always looks to embrace new technologies and recognised there were new opportunities in the digital age to motivate gym-goers in a more creative […]
Quarter of a million “blipps” make ShortList the world’s most successful interactive magazine. [INFOGRAPHIC]
ShortList’s Blippar enabled retro gaming edition indicates visual discovery via smartphones has ‘reached a tipping point.’
Pioneering Blippar technology turned Britain’s largest men’s lifestyle magazine, ShortList into the world’s first fully interactive and ‘playable’ edition, resulting in record-breaking levels of reader interactions. On 8th November, UK commuters were treated to 34 pages of fully ‘blippable’ content from which they were able to blipp to compete, to game, to buy and to engage on a number of different features. In just the one edition, Blippar recorded 229,178 unique blipps of the issue from over 50,000 individual readers with an average time spent viewing and playing with interactive content reaching over six minutes per reader.
The partnership saw Blippar turn ShortList into a retro version of Chuckie Egg on the front cover as well as interactive content embedded throughout the magazine including new games previews, exclusive trailers, video content from renowned street artist Nick Gentry and an exclusive video shoot with Ricky Hatton.
Top stats include:
- Total number of blipps 229,178
- Total number of unique users 51,451 (out of an audited circulation of 529,010)
- ShortList released on 7 November saw a peak in blipps from 5-10pm
- On 8 November, peak blipp times matched rush hour commuter traffic at 7-10am and 5.30-9pm
- Average number of blipps per user 4.5
- The interactive Chuckie Egg cover accounted for 78,288 blipps totaling 34% of interaction
- More than 60% users blipped more than one page
- Average time spent on the app viewing and playing with interactive content, also known as dwell time is 6.24 minutes
- Nearly 10% of the blipps were registered nearly one week after the free magazine hit streets, demonstrating that the appeal of the interactive content was sufficient to keep readers coming back day after day.
Ambarish Mitra, CEO of Blippar commented:
“The results of this interactive edition emphatically demonstrate that the potential for this technology to revolutionise print is here today, not just “one to watch” for the future. Shortlist proved to be the perfect partner to work with on the creation of an interactive edition filled with the right sort of compelling content to drive conversion. Together, we have demonstrated that we have superseded all the stepping stone technologies – such as QR codes, tags, digital watermarking and photo-snapping recognition. The implications for media partners and their advertisers are immense, with enquiries flooding in to get involved in the next edition. This is a landmark demonstration of the power of our platform-based approach to interactive print.”
Martin Robinson, Editor of ShortList commented:
“We went all out to make ShortList’s interactive gaming issue a massively fun and rewarding experience so I am delighted to see such a massive response. It shows the level of engagement we enjoy with our readers, and shows there’s plenty of room for innovation in print magazines yet.”