Batchwood Golf Course and Sports Centre has joined forces with Watling View School in St Albans, which supports children with a wide range of disabilities, and from 3rd November will host a six-week disability tennis programme for pupils at the school
Local leisure centres offer free fitness classes on National Fitness Day
Harpenden Sports Centre, London Colney Adventure World and Batchwood Golf Course & Sports Centre in St Albans are holding a selection of free fitness classes for the public on National Fitness Day on Friday 26th September
- A range of different activities will be taking place at the centres on the day, providing members and non-members the opportunity to shape up for free. Activities on offer will include free core stability and gym introductory classes, which are expected to be a real hit
- All three leisure centres are managed by 1Life on behalf of St Albans City and District Council
- National Fitness Day is the largest celebration of physical activity in the UK and is run by ukactive, a national not-for-profit organisation promoting physical activity
- Hundreds of clubs, parks and leisure centres open their doors to the public, hosting free events for people to try a new exercise, group activity or to just get their heart rate pumping
- Research suggests that those who exercise in company rather than alone are more likely to stick at it, and National Fitness Day encourages group exercise with a fun social atmosphere
- Classes are subject to spaces being available
Alex Bedford, Contract Manager at the sites, commented:
I hope that the local residents will feel encouraged to come along and try out a class on the day – maybe to try something they’ve never done before, or to get back into exercise. National Fitness Day is a great way for everyone in the community to get involved and motivate each other to work out.
Cllr Annie Brewster, Portfolio Holder for Sports, Leisure and Heritage at St Albans City and District Council said:
These free classes offer a great opportunity to try out out a new activity and improve your fitness levels at the same time. You can explore these three venues and see what types of activity are available. For example, at our newly-built Batchwood Sports Centre, there are state-of-the-art facilities for tennis, together with squash and two gyms.