Batchwood Golf Course and Sports Centre has joined forces with Watling View School in St Albans, which supports children with a wide range of disabilities, and from 3rd November will host a six-week disability tennis programme for pupils at the school
Tennis icon Judy Murray officially opens Batchwood Golf Course & Sports Centre
Judy Murray, leading tennis coach, current captain of the British Fed Cup team and mother to last year’s Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, officially opened Batchwood Sports Centre on Tuesday 8th July. While at the centre, Judy held a question and answer session with members of the local community in a bid to inspire the next generation of top tennis players.
- The Countess of Verulam, Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Hertfordshire, and The Mayor of St Albans City and District, Councillor Geoff Harrison, were also in attendance to mark the official opening of the centre
- They joined over 1000 members of the local community to celebrate the opening and raise more than £2000 for the sport centre’s Rally for Bally campaign
- St Albans City and District Council rebuilt the sports centre after it was destroyed by a fire in August 2011
- Two of the nation’s top sporting organisations: the Lawn Tennis Association and Sport England have contributed a total of £1.1million to the project
- Members of the local community took part in free taster classes, sports activities, games and general entertainment
- These included children’s games and sports, a judo demonstration, a Les Mills master class of Body Attack & Body Balance and a special “Insanity” fitness class
- Personal trainers were also on hand all evening, offering free training tips in a bid to help the local public get the most out of life
- A tennis event also helped raise money for Rally for Bally – a campaign that has been set up in memory of the late Elena Baltacha – the former British number one tennis player who died from liver cancer in May, aged just 30
- It included activities, a Question and Answer session with Judy Murray and a charity auction
- The team at Batchwood Sports Centre has raised over £2000 for the campaign with proceeds being split between the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity and the Elena Baltacha Academy of Tennis
- The new sports centre is managed by 1Life on behalf of the District Council
- The Batchwood Sports Centre contains a 48-station gym, a strength and conditioning suite, two refurbished squash courts, six brand new indoor tennis courts, a viewing gallery, three outdoor courts, two mini tennis courts and a group exercise studio
- There is also a multi-purpose function bar, a coffee bar, and a special judo dojo training facility
- Adjacent to the sports centre is a bowls green and the Batchwood 18-hole Golf Course, grass practice area and 9-hole putting green
- Free parking, stunning parklands and walkways make the Batchwood Golf Course & Sports Centre a great family destination
For more information about Batchwood Golf Course & Sports Centre visit
The new sports centre is managed by 1Life on behalf of the District Council. Alex Bedford, Contract Manager at Batchwood Sports Centre, commented:
It was very encouraging to see so many members of the local community enjoying the fantastic facilities that we offer here at Batchwood. I’d like to thank Judy Murray for attending the event and answering the questions of budding tennis players; and who knows, she might have even helped inspire a future Wimbledon champion!
Cllr Geoff Harrison, The Mayor of St Albans City and District Council, said:
It was a brilliant day that showed off the wonderful facilities to great effect with lots going on for people to enjoy. Judy Murray joined in the tennis, gave out coaching tips and also treated us to a fascinating insight to the game in the question and answer session. It was good of Judy to give up her time to open this sports centre which provides a range of amazing facilities for everyone in the community.
Cllr Annie Brewster, Portfolio Holder for Sports, Leisure and Heritage for St Albans City and District Council, added:
This is the second newly-built leisure development that the Council has opened in the last two years. Together the Batchwood Sports Centre and the award-winning Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre have significantly raised the standard of the facilities we provide for residents. We are currently building a third new facility in London Colney which is due for completion next year and is part of our goal to improve leisure facility provision in the District.