Batchwood Golf Course and Sports Centre has joined forces with Watling View School in St Albans, which supports children with a wide range of disabilities, and from 3rd November will host a six-week disability tennis programme for pupils at the school
Perfect match…tennis icon Judy Murray to officially open Batchwood Golf Course & Sports Centre
Judy Murray, leading tennis coach, current captain of the British Fed Cup team and mother to current Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, will officially open Batchwood Sports Centre on Tuesday 8th July from 4pm. The brand new Centre is an amazing facility for the community of St Albans and a Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) high-performance centre for tennis and coaching education.
- The iconic Batchwood Sports Centre opened its doors to the public on 26 May following a £6.6million rebuild funded by St Albans City & District Council, LTA and Sport England
- It is managed by 1Life on behalf of St Albans City & District Council
- The official opening event is open to everyone and runs from 4pm-8pm
- There will be an opportunity for residents and customers to get involved with a ticket-only tennis event featuring a ‘Question and Answer’ session with Judy Murray and fundraising activities for the Rally for Bally campaign set up in memory of tennis player Elena Baltacha
- They will also be able to take part in other FREE taster classes, sports activities, children’s games and general entertainment
- This will include children’s games and sports from 4pm to 5pm; a judo demonstration from 5pm to 6pm; a Les Mills master class of Body Attack & Body Balance from 7pm to 8pm, and a special “Insanity” fitness class from 8pm to 9pm
- Personal trainers will be on hand all evening for free training in the main gym and there will be indoor Boot Camp sessions in the conditioning gym. Local squash coach Derek Thorpe will be taking taster sessions in the two squash courts
- Outside we will hold “have a go” golf and bowls sessions where anyone can swing a club or bowl a ball whatever your age
- The opening event will showcase the Centre’s great range of facilities, which are accessible to everyone to help them to get the most out life
Councillor Annie Brewster, Portfolio Holder for Sports, Leisure and Heritage at St Albans City and District Council, said:
Join in the fun at the official opening of this fantastic new sports centre which has top-class facilities for tennis and judo, thanks to funding from the LTA and Sport England. You are welcome to try out a whole range of sports activities on the day. You might like to ask Judy Murray the odd question about British tennis and how she helped Andy Murray make it to become one of the world’s best tennis players.