Batchwood Golf Course and Sports Centre has joined forces with Watling View School in St Albans, which supports children with a wide range of disabilities, and from 3rd November will host a six-week disability tennis programme for pupils at the school
Game, set, match; Batchwood Sports Centre supports Rally for Bally with Wimbledon tennis offer
To celebrate the start of Wimbledon, the newly-refurbished Batchwood Sports Centre is encouraging the local community to try their hand at tennis while raising funds for charity.
- Tennis enthusiasts are being offered the opportunity to hire an outdoor court for just £1 per hour between 23rd June and 6th July
- The aim is to encourage players to donate a small fee to Batchwood Sports Centre’s campaign to raise money for Rally for Bally
- Rally for Bally was set up in memory of Elena Baltacha who died of liver cancer on 4 May 2014
- Funds raised are being donated to the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity and The Elena Baltacha Academy of Tennis
- The sports centre’s support will culminate in a charity auction on July 8th, when Judy Murray is set to officially open the site
Alex Bedford, contract manager at Batchwood Sports Centre, commented:
I hope that this fantastic offer will encourage members of the local community who feel inspired by Wimbledon to try their hand at tennis. Our brand new courts offer the next generation of tennis players the very best facilities; and who knows, we might even find the next Andy Murray!
Cllr Julian Daly, Executive Leader of St Albans City and District Council, said:
This offer provides the perfect opportunity to try out the new tennis facilities at the Batchwood Sports Centre and to support the Rally for Bally campaign. The sports centre has recently been rebuilt by the Council following a fire a few years ago. The fantastic facilities are designed to be used by tennis players of all abilities from new starters to the elite.